Workers Compensation

What is Workers Compensation?  It is compensation for disability or death as a result of accidental injuries or occupational diseases suffered in the course of employment.

Who Makes the Payments? The employer directly or through an insurance company generally makes all payments.  In certain circumstances payments may also be received from certain "funds" established by Michigan Law.

Which Employers Have Workers Compensation? 

  • All private employers (expect agricultural) who regularly employ three or more employees at one time.
  • All private employers (expect agricultural) who regularly employ one or more employees for 35 or more hours per week, for a period of 13 weeks or longer during the preceding 52 weeks. 
  • All public employers.  Federal employees are covered under a separate compensation system.
  • Certain agricultural employers.

If I am Hurt or Contract an Occupational Disease on the Job, What is the First Thing I should Do? You should report the details of any injury or disease immediately to your employer, foreman or other person in charge.  If you fail to repor the accident or injury in a timely fashion yoiu could lose your right to compensation if your employer is prejudiced by the failure.

How Do I Obtain Necessary Medical Care?  The law requires your employer or the insurance carrier to provide such medical, surgical and hospital services as are reasonably necessary to cure or relive the effects of a work-connected injury or disease.  Included are medicines, nursing care and mileage for medical examinations, treatment or rehabilitation.

When is Compensation Payable?  Compensaiton is to be paid promptly and directly to an injured employee.  Payments begin on the eigth day after injury.  If the disability lasts two weeks or longer or death results, payments are made from the injury date.

What Happens If I Disagree WIth My Employer Over Payment of A Claim?  If you feel you are being denied any rights under the law, you are entitled to a hearing before a magistrate.  The magistrate will make a decision based upon the facts presented at a formal hearing, which usually will include medical and vocational testimony.

What Are My Rights In The Event On An Amputation Or Industrial Loss Of Use Of A  Member (Such As An Eye, Finger, Etc.)? You will be entitled to benefits for a prescribed number of weeks regardless of the actual time off work.  You may be entitled to further compensation if you have a continuing wage loss as a result of the disability.

What Are My Workers Compensation Benefits? 

You are entitled to reasonable and necessary medical care from your employer after sustaining a job-related injury or disease.  Medical care includes medical, surgical, nursing, and hospital services, medicines, and rehabilitation.  You are also entitled to weekly worker's compensation payments generally based on 80% of your after-tax average weekly wage, but not more than the maximum established by law.  Your rate will be affected by the number of dependents as determined by the workers compensation law.

HAVE QUESTIONS?  The dedicated lawyer, John Morosi, at Seward, Tally & Piggott, P.C. in Bay City, Michigan is here to help!  Call today!  989-892-6551

For more information about Bay City lawyer, John Morosi, click here


The preceding is provided for informational purposes only.  While every effort has been made to ensure accuracy, it cannot be relied upon as legal advise.  Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations.  Please consult with the attorneys at Seward, Tally & Piggott, P.C. for legal aid.

Contact Us

Please note that all fields followed by an asterisk must be filled in.

Please enter the word that you see below.


Contact Information

Seward, Tally & Piggott, P.C.

1009 Washington Ave.

Bay City, MI 48708

Phone: 989-892-6551

Fax: 989-892-1568

Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and by special appointment

We are located across the street from the Post Office and Court House.